ASUS Socket AM3/AMD 890FX/CrossFireX/SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0/A and GbE/ATX Motherboard Crosshair IV Formula

ASUS Socket AM3/AMD 890FX/CrossFireX/SATA 3.0
and USB 3.0/A and GbE/ATX Motherboard Crosshair IV Formula


Asus has hit a homerun with this mobo! Using the Asus Crosshair IV Formula and my new AMD 1055t Athlon II x6 processor, I was able to easily OC the stock 2.8 Ghz proccy to 3.76 Ghz with almost no effort whatsoever. I had originally intended to go with the AMD 1090t proccy but couldn't see paying almost $100 extra (at that time). I realize now the Black Edition processors are a little better with faster through put but I'm still very happy. 

My first impression of the packaging was simply "WOW". Normally you expect to get a mobo in a box that's been clear-tape sealed with a disk an instruction booklet and a CD and perhaps some cables/ribbons. This package is like no other mobo you'll ever buy. An extremely detailed booklet with plenty of info on anything and everything about the board and it's features as well as Bios tips. Cables, tie straps, and an amazing rear IO plate that put my faith back into premium quality mobos. Also included is an ROG (Republic Of Gamers) badge sticker as well as a pretty large side case sticker that goes perfectly with my Red and Silver Backtrack 4 logo ;). 

Assembly of the board is standard except for the RAM slots which feature one end clip on each slot. Yep, no more fumbling around underneath wires to have to pop out your RAM sticks with two latches, this feature alone is enough for me to be happy but it doesn't stop there. Asus has gone out of their way to deliver not only performance but a great assembled package that shows the pride of the ROG community. Some (including one of my closest friends) balked at the color scheme until he got a longer look at it. Admittedly, red wouldn't have been my first choice either since I like blue and green better but it quickly grows on you aesthetically. Now, many have complained about the heat of the Northbridge which in some cases featured incorrect standoff heights. For a new and "featured" product it was sad to see such a blatant mistake which also proved a lack of QC/QA on Asus' part before shipping (IMO) on one of their premiere and premium prodcuts. However, with that said, I was one of the fortunate ones who had no problems with the heat of the NB. 

Assembly was typical like any other motherboard until it came time to start it up. I have to admit this was the first time ever I had no problems running it correctly the first time with absolutely no flaws. Loaded in Windows Ultimate 7 64 bit and away it went. 
For this build I opted for all top of the line products including: Corsair H70 proc cooler, 8Gb G.Skill Flare RAM, OCZ 850w GamerXStream PSU, Diamond ATI 1Gb DDR5 5870 GPU, Antec BluRay BD ROM, LG DVD/CD reader/burner, NZXT Sentry 2 LE Fan Controller, Lian Li 4 port mini-duckbill light switches, Cooler Master Sickle Blade Fans (6), Antec 1200 case, Sabrent 51 in 1 card reader, WD RE3 Enterprise Edition 1Tb drives (2), Corsair C300 64 Gb SSD, Bulgin LED Power Switch, Flatron 24" HDMI monitor,Logitech G19 Keyboard and last but not lease the Logitech G5 gaming mouse. And all fed through a Logitech 540 5.1 sound system. 

My intention was to future proof this build as much as possible within a set budget and I've easily accomplished that with a few dollars leftover. The lighted switches, buttons on the motherboard are flat out sexy too. I've also got to admit the AMD 890 chipset totally rocks! My previous system was an Asus A8N32-SLI Premium mobo with an AMD Opteron 170 which is still a good build but nothing compared to the newest screamer! If you're looking for performance, capability, consistency and overclocking capabilities I would have to put this at position #1 with a bullet! 

I had originally intended to use the Noctua NHD14 cooler which is mammoth but fits my case, until that is, I attempted to put it in with the performance RAM from G.Skill. If you're intending to use the Noctua cooler you can only use standard side cover heat spreaders on your RAM. Forget about the add-on top heat spreader such as the G.Skill Flare or Corsair Dominators, it just won't fit. The bottom 3-5 fins of the NHD14 hit the top of the RAM and will not seat anywhere near the top of your processor as it should. Hence the Corsair H70 which works like a charm and provides excellent cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free