ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer (Tablet Only)

by Asus
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer



Finally, a non iPad tablet that's both technologically on par (and here and there superior) with the 'leader' AND reasonably priced AND doesn't force us, the paying customers, into some 'ecosystem' mandatory straightjacket. 

While not perfect, the Transformer offers a great deal when it comes to features and expandability and it's the clear price leader at this time. And, of course, there's the open Honeycomb and the freedom that a reasonably open OS gives you without having to wait for jailer's okay - no need to jailbreak. You are free by default as you should be. I so wanted an open Wi-Fi tablet so maybe I am a little overenthusiastic but I totally jumped on this one when it became available because it's the first non-iTablet that actually makes sense IF you don't care about 3G/4G. 

I've only been using the Transformer for a couple of days and I haven't reached the top of the learning curve so I'm not going to write a lot about the various apps but I've had enough time to get to know the hardware part and basic capabilities and, for someone quite skeptical when it came to 'tablets' all I can say is that I am impressed, especially when comparing it with the other tablets out there. And this is why (I rated each feature on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is bad and 10 is best): 

PRICE (8) - the 16 GB model beats all the others at the time I'm writing this. This TF101-B1 comes with 32 GB and costs $100 more for an additional 16 GB - $499 list price - but it's still a good match for everything else that's out there. There is a separate listing for TF101-A1, the 16 GB version. 
DISPLAY SIZE (10) - 10.1", 16x9 (wide screen). Can't really compare it with the iPad because iPad's 9.7" screen is in a 4x3 format - more square inches but movies show much better on a 16x9 screen. 
RESOLUTION (10) - 1280x800 translates in 30% more pixels than iPad's and it's a beautiful, bright image. However, you can't really use it outside unless it's a cloudy day. For reading on the beach, there's the Kindle :) 
INTERNAL MEMORY (8) - 1 GB is not overwhelming but it's twice as much as iPad's (better multi-tasking) and on par with the more expensive Xoom. 
PROCESSOR (8) - 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 (2 x Cortex A9) is on par with Xoom, clock speed similar with iPad 2. 
STORAGE (10) - 32 GB for this model, expandable through microSD to 64 GB. The 16 GB model may be the better value but you are limited to 48 GB. 
WEIGHT (7) - about 1.5 lbs., comparable with iPad's and Xoom's. It doesn't feel heavy to me. 
CAMERAS (7) - 5MP rear camera for picture or video-taking and a 1.2MP front facing for video chat. Quite happy so far but there is no flash. 
SPEAKERS (8) - 2 SRS on the sides so they won't be muffled if you lay it flat. I believe the iPad has only one. 
CHARGING (8) - via wall connector or USB but it took overnight to fully charge the tablet over USB - understandable because a tabled requires significantly more power than a phone. The dedicated port does it in a couple of hours. 
BATTERY LIFE (8) - I was able to do 7-8 hours on a full charge, not as good as iPad but close. 
PHYSICAL BUILT (7) - It's okay but the plastic on the back feels a little 'thin'. 

Other features/capabilities include HDMI port, Bluetooth, GPS, Flash (haven't installed the upgrade yet), remote control of Windows and Macs (it works). 

ERGONOMICS 
The Transformer is slightly heavier than the iPad but not significantly so. The 16x9 format is very good for movie viewing and, because it's wider, it makes for better integration with the dock expansion. 
I like the mostly glass front with a little metal on the edges but the plastic back is so-so. It's solid but you can squeeze it if you really try - it gives to pressure. 
The screen is responsive to touch. I haven't been a heavy 'touch' user until the Transformer so I am not going to make any comparisons but I am pleased. The fine resolution makes serious multitasking not only possible but also practical. The Transformer has more pixels than the iPad and it shows. 

THE DOCK 
I must confess that even though I'm the current user, I bought the Transformer for one of my kids - because he did so well in school but he's getting it in a month or so on his birthday - and I decided to splurge a little, ordering the 'dock'. Hasn't arrived yet - back ordered - but someone I know has one and I was able to test-drive it for about one hour. 
I haven't used it extensively but, anyone who's used netbooks will immediately recognize one as soon as the Transformer plugs into the keyboard-plus expansion. Besides the physical keyboard which integrates well with the OS and adds lots of dedicated buttons, the dock has a built-in battery, 2 extra USB ports and a SD card port. My impression is that, once plugged into the dock, it charges the tablet and all power comes from the dock's battery for as long as the battery has power. As for how it feels... let me say that I'm a lot more comfortable with a full size keyboard. 
When docked you can actually fold the Transformer closed with the dock as the keyboard bottom and you end up with something that's hard to distinguish from a netbook, only it's running an Android OS. 

Images Gallery:





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free